What is a Mix & Match contest?
It’s a very friendly, supportive, and extremely fun event where dancers are randomly matched to their partners to show their social dance skills with their partner to a variety of music picked by the competition DJ. As such, it truly tests your skills as a social dancer.
How does it work?
It will consist of 3 preliminary rounds and 1 final round. Preliminary rounds will be held on October 16th, 23th, and 30th. With the final round on November 6th to LIVE MUSIC!
Participating dancers will be paired with 3-4 partners at random. The music style and tempo will vary for each partner. Each week, we will select 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners from our Leads and Follows. If you win a prelim round, you automatically qualify for the finals and will not be allowed to enter any other prelims. If you don’t win but place, you are encouraged to enter again. Earning a placement wins you points. In the end of the preliminary rounds, we will be adding up your total points over three weeks to determine any additional finalists and alternates for the finals.
Who is allowed to participate?
For this competition, Amateurs are defined as dancers who have not taught classes at a weekly event and who have not placed in the top three in any regional or national dance competition.
How do I register?
Registration begins at 9:30pm and closes at 9:50pm Wednesday, October 16th, 23th, and 30th at Wednesday Night Hop. Spots are available on a first come, first served basis. To prevent time overruns for the contest, we will be limiting the number of participants each week. A limited number of spots will be reserved for in advance registration to help out dancers who have long distance commutes (say, Sacramento) and cannot make it in person for the 9:30pm sign-up time at Wednesday Night Hop’s discretion.
Registration costs $3 for each preliminary round and is open to any eligible dancers who haven’t yet won a preliminary round. Remember that this is a friendly and fun event, so mark your calendars and we’ll see you there!
|October 16||Prelim 1|
|October 23||Prelim 2|
|October 30||Prelim 3|
|November 6||Finals to LIVE MUSIC|
Preliminary round format:
- Follows and Leads will be randomly paired and dance for 1 minute and 30 seconds to a different song picked by the competition DJ. There will be 3-4 rounds.
- Follows and Leads are judged separately in the preliminary contests.
- Judging for the preliminary rounds will be scored by relative placement.
Final round format:
- Finals format will be two all-skates (rotate in-between), one spotlight (after one rotation), followed by another all-skates to LIVE MUSIC. We go until the judges and crowd are satisfied!
- Judging for the final round will be scored by relative placement.