Harvest Moon Mix & Match 3nd Prelim and Halloween!
October 25 @ 9:30 pm - 11:45 pm
Halloween is here! Put on your craziest (but family-friendly, please) costumes and participate in our costume contest. We promise silly prizes as always.
Mix & Match contest is always fun, but participating in your costume, or watching others trying to make it through in theirs is extra fun! Read below all the details about the third Prelim of our 8th Annual Harvest Moon Amateur Mix & Match.
This Lindy Hop competition is open to all amateur level competitors. If you are not sure whether you qualify, please ask.
What is a Mix & Match contest?
It’s a very friendly, supportive, and extremely fun event where dancers are randomly matched to their partners to show their social dance skills with their partner to a variety of music picked by the competition DJ. As such, it truly tests your skills as a social dancer.
How does it work?
It will consist of 3 preliminary rounds and 1 final round. Preliminary rounds will be held on October 11th, 18th, and 25th. With the final round on November 1st to LIVE MUSIC!
Participating dancers will be paired with 3-4 partners at random. The music style and tempo will vary for each partner. Each week, we will select 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners from our Leads and Follows. If you win a prelim round, you automatically qualify for the finals and will not be allowed to enter any other prelims. If you don’t win but place, you are encouraged to enter again. Earning a placement wins you points. In the end of the preliminary rounds, we will be adding up your total points over three weeks to determine any additional finalists and alternates for the finals.
Who is allowed to participate?
For this competition, Amateurs are defined as dancers who have not taught classes at a weekly event and who have not placed in the top three in any regional or national dance competition.
How do I register?
Registration begins at 9:30pm and closes at 9:50pm Wednesday, October 11th, 18th, and 25th at Wednesday Night Hop. Spots are available on a first come, first served basis. To prevent time overruns for the contest, we will be limiting the number of participants each week. A limited number of spots will be reserved for in advance registration to help out dancers who have long distance commutes (say, Sacramento) and cannot make it in person for the 9:30pm sign-up time at Wednesday Night Hop’s discretion.
Registration costs $3 for each preliminary round and is open to any eligible dancers who haven’t yet won a preliminary round. Remember that this is a friendly and fun event, so mark your calendars and we’ll see you there!
The winners will be choosing between:
- Two passes to Swingin' at the Savoy 2018
- Two passes to The Switch 2018
- Two passes to Inspiration Weekend 2018
|October 11||Prelim 1|
|October 18||Prelim 2|
|October 25||Prelim 3|
|November 1||Finals to LIVE MUSIC|
Preliminary round format:
- Follows and Leads will be randomly paired and dance for 1 minute and 30 seconds to a different song picked by the competition DJ. There will be 3-4 rounds.
- Follows and Leads are judged separately in the preliminary contests.
- Judging for the preliminary rounds will be scored by relative placement.
Final round format:
- Each contestant will be assigned one partner, at random.
- Finals begin with a brief all skate warm-up, followed by a spotlight phrase battle to LIVE MUSIC. We go until the judges and crowd are satisfied!
- Phrase battle format T.B.D.
- Judging for the final round will be scored by relative placement.