How we care and protect your privacy
Collection and Use of Personal Information
Personal information is data that can be used to uniquely identify or contact a single person.
You may be asked to provide your personal information anytime you register for a class, dance party, or an event, online on our website or at the registration desk at our event locations.
We use the woocommerce framework to process online registration and payments. We use multiple payment gateways to process payments (credit cards…):
Please read their user agreements and privacy policies. We do not share your information with any other parties.
What personal information we collect
- When you register for a class, dance party, or an event through our website or at the registration desk at our event locations, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, email address, contact preferences.
What personal information we do not collect
- Our payment gateways may collect your mailing address, phone number, and credit card information. We do not.
How we use your personal information
- The personal information we collect allows us to keep you posted on announcements and upcoming events through our newsletter. If you do not want to be on our mailing list, you can opt out anytime by unsubscribing here.
- We also use personal information to help us keep track of what class or event you signed up for.
- We may also use personal information for internal purposes such as data analysis and research to improve our classes, services, and communications.
- If you enter into a context, or similar promotion, we may use the information you provide to administer those programs.
- We may use your name in our newsletter. You can request that we do not use your name, or that we remove it from our newsletter archive available on our website.
- On occasion, we may share your name with another dance venue to allow you to take advantage of an offer or discount that the dance venue may offer.
Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
We also collect non-personal information — data in a form that does not permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect and use non-personal information for internal purposes such as data analysis and research to improve our classes, services, and communications. The following are some examples of non-personal information that we collect and how we may use it:
- An example is anonymous feedback forms we ask students to fill out at the end of a class series, or at any other time.
- We also may collect information regarding activities on our website. This information is aggregated and used to help us provide more useful information to our customers and to understand which parts of our website, and services are of most interest. Aggregated data is considered non-personal information for the purposes of this User Data Usage Policy.
- We use services provided by facebook, twitter, yelp, youtube, flickr, and campaign monitor, for communications and we may collect and use the information that they provide regarding activities on their websites. Please read their respective user agreements and privacy policies.
If we do combine non-personal information with personal information the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined.
Cookies and Other Technologies
Our website, online services, and email messages, may use “cookies” and other technologies such as pixel tags and web beacons. These technologies help us better understand user behavior, tell us which parts of our website people have visited, and facilitate and measure the effectiveness of our services and web searches. We treat information collected by cookies and other technologies as non-personal information. However, to the extent that Internet Protocol (IP) addresses or similar identifiers are considered personal information by local law, we also treat these identifiers as personal information. Similarly, to the extent that non-personal information is combined with personal information, we treat the combined information as personal information for the purposes of this User Data Usage Policy.
If you want to disable cookies, most web browsers have a preference setting allowing you to disable cookies.
As is true of most websites, we gather some information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type and language, Internet service provider (ISP), referring and exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data.
We use this information to understand and analyze trends, to administer the site, to learn about user behavior on the site, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may use this information in our marketing and advertising services.
In some of our email messages, we use a “click-through URL” linked to content on the our website. When customers click one of these URLs, they pass through a separate web server before arriving at the destination page on our website. We track this click-through data to help us determine interest in particular topics and measure the effectiveness of our customer communications. If you prefer not to be tracked in this way, you should not click text or graphic links in the email messages.
Pixel tags enable us to send email messages in a format customers can read, and they tell us whether mail has been opened. We may use this information to reduce or eliminate messages sent to customers.
Disclosure to Third Parties
We do not disclose any personal or non-personal information to any third party, apart from the information shared with the services we use (Paypal, Stripe, Square) as described above.
It may be necessary — by law, legal process, litigation, and/or requests from public and governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence — for us to disclose your personal information. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate.
We may also disclose information about you if we determine that disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce our terms and conditions or protect our operations or users. Additionally, in the event of a reorganization, merger, or sale we may transfer any and all personal information we collect to the relevant third party.
Protection of Personal Information
We takes precautions — including administrative, technical, and physical measures — to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft, and misuse, as well as against unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.
When you post on an social networking service (such as facebook, twitter, yelp, youtube, flickr…), the personal information you share is visible to other users and can be read, collected, or used by them. You are responsible for the personal information you choose to submit in these instances. For example, if you list your name and email address in a forum posting, that information is public. Please take care when using these features.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we learn that we have collected the personal information of a child under 13 we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible.
Third-Party Sites and Services
Our website and services may contain links to third-party websites and services. Our services may also use or offer services from third parties. Information collected by third parties, which may include such things as location data or contact details, is governed by their privacy practices. We encourage you to learn about the privacy practices of those third parties.
Our Commitment to Your Privacy
To make sure your personal information is secure, we communicate our privacy and security guidelines to our staff, employees, and volunteers and strictly enforce privacy safeguards within our group.
User Data Usage Questions
If you have questions or concerns about our User Data Usage Policy or data processing, please contact us through email, regular mail, or phone, as indicated here.
We may update our User Data Usage Policy from time to time. When we change the policy in a material way, a notice will be posted on our website along with the updated User Data Usage Policy.